Charlotte Street Foundation is currently hiring for a Communications + Volunteer Coordinator for 2021 and beyond. If you have a strong desire to help Kansas City’s contemporary artists and feel compelled to build connections within Kansas City’s local neighborhoods and communities, then this position might be for you. The preferred deadline to apply is Thursday, July 15, 2021. Read the listing below or click the PDF here.
The Job Opportunity: The Communications & Volunteer Coordinator provides critical strategy, planning, and implementation for the external communications of the organization as well as community outreach and volunteer management. The ideal candidate will be energized by a role that balances strategic thinking, community engagement, and managing a high volume of production, and will be excited about working to support contemporary art and artists in Kansas City.
The Desired Candidate: We are seeking an energetic, organized, and clear communicator with a great command of social media, compelling copywriting voice, and heart for community engagement. The ideal candidate is a storyteller who is passionate about the arts, and specifically Kansas City’s contemporary artists. Photography or video editing skills are a plus.
- Strong written and oral communications skills
- Ability to organize and meet deadlines, good time management
- Demonstrated track record producing professional social media content, media communications, presentations/info sessions and community engagement events
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or a related area of study is attractive but not a requirement
Key Responsibilities + Duties
- Establish communications strategy, action plan, and calendar
- Foster relationships with local, regional, and national media outlets
- Generate and distribute press releases; manage partnerships and connections to media
- Recruit and manage volunteer support
- Manage volunteer docents for exhibitions as needed, working with Curatorial Fellow and Programming staff to develop docent trainings
- Work with CSF staff to identify volunteer needs and craft clear volunteer roles and special projects
- Along with the Marketing Manager, assist the staffing of public events and programs
- Work with Development & Marketing Director to manage online community-driven giving campaigns
- Organize outreach programs and information sessions; represent CSF at community events
- Advocate for CSF as a proactive external ambassador for the organization and its artists
- Create and manage audience feedback surveys and reports
- Serve as backup to the Marketing Manager in the creation of content for CSF’s online presence, including our website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn accounts
On Equity: Charlotte Street Foundation values an equitable, diverse, and inclusive art community, which we interpret as all artists having fair access to the tools and resources they need to realize their artistic endeavors. We acknowledge structural inequities that have excluded individuals and communities from opportunity based on race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, class, age, and geography, and strive to counter those inequities in our work and in representation on our board, staff, and constituent groups.
Technology Environment: CSF utilizes Apple computers and Microsoft Office 365.
Classification + Pay: Full-time, Exempt (FTE benefits including health insurance, flex scheduling, paid vacation, sick time, paid federal holidays) Pay $35,000 annually
Working Conditions: Open space office environment. This position requires some evening and weekend work; hours are flexible in order to accommodate these situations. Charlotte Street Foundation has recently moved all of its internal operations, as well as our programming venues, to a brand new 20,000 sq ft facility at 3333 Wyoming in the Volker neighborhood of Kansas City, MO.
How to Apply: Please send the following in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org (preferably as one packaged PDF attachment with an email cover letter). The email subject line should read Communications & Volunteer Coordinator.
- Cover letter of interest
- CV/resume (should include contact information for 3 references who can speak to working directly with you professionally in different capacities, (peers/managers/collaborators, etc.).
- Work samples of social media, media communications (or video/radio work if relevant), social media-based community-driven fundraising campaigns, outreach sessions or event plans
- Demonstration of your writing capabilities – examples might include press releases, other media communications, or campaigns.
Deadline for Application: Charlotte Street is seeking to fill this position soon, with a start date in the summer of 2021. Submission of applications by July 15th is encouraged, though the application will remain open until an appropriate candidate is hired. All candidates will be contacted and notified of status by email. Candidates who are most competitive will be invited to a phone interview and subsequent in person interviews, and will be notified of their status by phone as it is decided. Please do not call with questions about application status.
Organizational Background: Charlotte Street centers Kansas City’s most forward-thinking visual artists, writers, and performers—acting as the primary incubator, provocateur, and connector for the region’s contemporary arts community, and its leading advocate on the national stage. Since 1997, Charlotte Street has distributed over $1.1 million in awards and grants to artists and their innovative projects, and has hosted countless exhibitions, performances, convenings and conversations connecting and challenging Kansas City’s contemporary art ecosystem. For more information about Charlotte Street, its awards, programs, and initiatives, visit www.charlottestreet.org.